Tuesday, August 21, 2012

and the heat wasn't sooo bad and it's always better to paint!


August has been sort of hot and awful for everyone but we did manage to get it together last Thursday for a productive day at Amalia's. It was remarkably cool and refreshing to be there.


Honestly, I am always so inspired by our classes. Take a look at this beauty from the 20's. Rita's mom!!!






And the beautiful daughter did this painting. Of course she plans to attempt a painting of the above photo which will be super difficult. ahhh what else is new......


see Dolly's work in progress..
It's amazing but such a challenge because the original photo of her mother is in black and white. We  figured Dolly's mom was wearing a fox collar but what color was the jacket and we used Dolly's skin tones.
It's going very well at this point.



But I'm keeping it light because there was a natural uncontrolled episode this month that spared Joyce and Laura. The fire started on a Wednesday three weeks ago. I was teaching in the studio and my cell phone announced a call from my mom. She's aware of my schedule and doesn't call me when I have students but I picked up fearing a fall or some other catastrophe.
She told me there was a big fire at your place. I cleared my throat and told her I'd check it out.....sort of annoyed. Then I did check it out. And I have just a little idea of what you must have experienced. 
Joyce brought a photo of the fire as it cam up the canyon toward her home.I'll post it if I can get a copy. We painted there so often. But all is well and here's a cool picture from Joyce. It's reassuring.



Amalia worked on this plateau view.


And Jan started on this wonderful painting of a horse and its human. She has a natural understanding of horses that comes right through in her paintings


And it's late so I'm including this..... we had some fun with thoughts of having a 'paint off' with Jan and trying to compete with her horse painting. Here's my animal ( all 19 lbs) but honestly she doesn't hear my whispers unless fancy feast is involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment